Thursday, December 20, 2012

#26Acts

So you know how I'm now on Twitter?  Well after the events of the past week, I haven't been happier that I joined.  Tomorrow will mark a week since the horrific tragedy that struck Sandy Hook school in Connecticut.  It is still so hard to believe and tears still come to my eyes when the adorable faces of those innocent children flash across the TV screen.  With tears of sadness has also come tears of joy.  Ann Curry, the NBC news correspondent, is one of the people I follow on Twitter.  I am not sure why I started following her months ago, but I did.  Shortly after the Sandy Hook tragedy, she tweeted out a basic suggestion:  "Imagine if everyone went out and committed to 20 acts of kindness for everyone child lost in Newtown?"  The response has been overwhelming to say the least.  People started tweeting to her what they were doing as random acts of kindness and then she would re-tweet those tweets.  These re-tweets from Ann started filling up my twitter news feed and I find myself checking twitter more often just to see what people were doing for strangers everywhere.  People then suggested changing it to 26 acts, one for every person that died at the school that day.  It is so cool to know that although we may not see it for ourselves everyday, there are good people in this world that are willing to make a difference for the better.  One of my favorites that I've seen is a guy that said he got on the city bus and he told the driver he wanted to pay for the next 26 people to board the bus.  The driver looked at him and simply said "Ann Curry follower?"  If you haven't heard about #26Acts yet, I am sure you will soon.  Newspapers and TV stations have started picking up this story because it is spreading like wildfire.  I myself did one random act yesterday and plan to do more.  If you haven't heard about this yet, check it out, you won't regret it!  And because I feel it's part of my duty as a semi-"published" writer (ha ha, - as if), I am spreading the word and encouraging you to do at least one random act of kindness for someone in the near future.  You'll love it.  I promise.  Check out this link and this link to get your heart all warm and fuzzy.  And see just a glimpse of Ann's twitter feed below:
Again, Merry Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment