Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Marketing at its finest

This may be the dumbest thing to have ever come across my inbox.  It's right up there with the ones from the IT department that say "The network will be down from 4:30 a.m to 5:00 a.m Saturday for maintenance"...it's like, who really cares?  Is anyone going to set their alarm for 4:00 a.m on a Saturday so they can work??  Those who do, deserve the network to be down!
Anyway, sorry.  Back to the subject.

I see this email come through and the subject line reads:


I read the subject line at least twice and think to myself..."this has to be a mistake."  Did they use this for Mother's Day and some web intern skipped some steps so he could leave early one day and just replaced "Mother's" with "Father's" and "woman" for "man"??
On  most of these Groupon emails, I would just hit delete, but this ridiculous subject had me hooked.  I double click to find that no, it wasn't in fact an error or someone being lazy.  People actually took time, brainstormed ideas, thought this sounded like a great one and paid a photographer good money to take one of the dumbest photos I've ever seen!  Not to mention the money they paid the male model to stuff a pillow under his shirt and the bimbo and kid who are pretending to think the guy is actually pregnant.


I would really like to know who thought this would be a clever idea.
I suppose it semi-worked...they had me hooked with the subject line and I did open the email.  Did I buy whatever stupid Groupon they were selling?  No.  I couldn't even tell you what they were selling because I was so focused on the "pregnant" bald guy.  No self-respecting man would probably like what they were selling anyway after a marketing campaign like that one!

Happy Early Father's Day to the guy who DIDN'T carry you around for 9 months...but loved and supported you all the years of your life!


No comments:

Post a Comment