Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Tubby Love

We're makin' progress people.  We are a few (hopefully) short weeks away from the bathroom being 100% complete.  It cannot come soon enough.  The weather will hopefully take a turn for the better any day now and my yard will need some attention!
Anyway, the latest step to get completed was the resurfacing of the tub.  When I started renovating my lav, I was told it would be a lot easier to keep the current tub in there.  For one, it's the original cast iron tub and besides being somewhat stained, it was in tip top shape.  No major chips, dents or anything like that.  Number two was being that it's cast iron, it would be a pain in the hinder to get out of the bathroom.  It would defiantly need to come out in chunks because it's so heavy and that would just make another mess.  So in she stayed and I am SO glad.  No plastic tub for this girl.  All's she needed was a facial and some botox to get rid of her blackheads (stains) and wrinkles (pitting or corroding in some parts).
Somebody in my immediate family who shall be left nameless wanted to attempt to do this makeover ourselves.  I am all for doing other things ourselves, but when it comes to a cast iron makeover that could end in catastrophe, I decided to take the upper hand and call in a pro.  After doing some online surfing to find a local company, I came across these guys.  I was drawn to their site for a couple reasons.  A., They are family owned and you gotta love family owned businesses.  B.  Their website.  Their website wasn't too fancy at all.  Very simple, probably didn't cost a ton of money to build and some of their "testimonials" were actual hand-written notes that they obviously got sent in the mail or were left by customers and were scanned into the site.  How can you not love that personal charm?  Being the smart, intelligent person that I am (heehe), I decided that since this company is family owned and didn't spend a ton on their website, I figured they probably did excellent work and don't send out 100 guys a day to mass re-surface these tubs and just slap something together.  Does this make sense?  I hope so.
Anyway, I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER with the job that was done!  Steve (brother 1 of 2 (mom Donna does scheduling)) was very friendly and made sure to keep me in the loop on what he was doing if I ever had questions and when it was time for him to locate the "repair" spots (i.e., small chips and corrosion not really visible to the untrained eye), he brought me in and showed me the spots so I knew exactly what he was going to fix, etc.  It took him about four hours the first day and then the second day, he came back and caulked the seams and was done in about an hour.  It seriously looks like a brand-spankin' new tub.  I would HIGHLY recommend these guys if you have a yucky, stained tub like me or you just want to trade in that old pink, avocado or robin's egg blue tub for a pearly white one, but don't have the heart to throw a perfectly good, sturdy tub away!  :)
So enough with the chatter...let's see some pics, shall we?
I didn't want to be "that customer" and take pictures of poor Steve while he was working, so I did my best to sneak some shots while he wasn't looking and I may or may not have been kind of creepy/stalker-ish when I secretly went to the driveway and took a picture of his car!

Here are the two before shots:
Please know that the tub no way looked this horrible when I was still showering in there...A lot of the stain you see his from debris from the past 5 months of work.  (wow, 5 months...has it been that long?)
Also take note of my new shiny spout.  :)



Crazy customer takes picture of workers car...I think I should get a small rebate or something for not only promoting their work but also giving you all the information you need in this one-stop-blog post.


Shortly after Steve left--I wasn't able to go all the way in in fear that I might disturb the paint in its curing process, so I just snapped this from behind the plastic in the doorway.


Wa-la!  It's like a brand new tub I tell you!  I should have taken this first picture at a different time of day--the shadows don't do justice to how squeaky clean and pearly she looks in real life.  You'll just have to take my word for it.  The second photo (of drain area) is more life-like.



Until next time!







No comments:

Post a Comment