Monday, July 18, 2011

Work Ramble

I have been in the corporate world for almost 5 years.  Before my cubicle life, I spent about 9 years in the restaurant biz.  I worked at the same place for almost 9 years, mainly as a waitress.  I truly loved my job there.  If I could rely on a set and steady paycheck every two weeks and have weekends free like I do now, I would trade my office chair for an apron any day.
Back to my point.
Someone said something at work the other day- it was a typical 'office life' phrase that you can either look at as very smart sounding, or very corny, depending on your personality- and it got me thinking about the different languages you start to speak when you work in certain environments.  Here is a short list of corporate phrases and how they would translate in the restaurant world:

I have a lot on my plate, will you send Jane Doe an email regarding that price issue?
I am so in the weeds right now, will you take table 61's order?

I need that file yesterday.
I need an order of Buff Wings on the fly to table 11.

Please disregard my last email.
86 tonight's special.

The reports on this page don't match what we talked about.
I rang in those nachos to come out first.

The representatives from Office World are here.
The Bingo people that don't order food, order endless refills of Cherry Pepsi, sit at your table all night and don't tip are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment