Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Curtain Call

I am in the midst of re-retro-fying (is that a word??) my kitchen.  When I moved in, my kitchen came equipped with a semi-yellow brick road floor, which besides having a couple nicks in it, is in great shape.  Rather than spend the money on a new one, I decided to just go with it.  Old is the new New, so why not?  I put new handles on the cabinets almost right away when I moved in (handle grime from unknown people is pretty disgusting to me) and I am now ready to tackle the rest of the kitchen.
After deciding I was going to keep the floor, my next goal was to find curtains.  The current lacy ones with a pale blue border and houses stitched into them, really didn't ring "70s Retro" to me.  So, I started hunting for the perfect pattern.  Come to find out, there wasn't much that was going to fit just perfect with my floor. Then a thought came to me...why don't I just find some cool fabric and have someone make some for me.  After a quick call to my Godmother giving me the green light to find fabric, I was off.  I had no idea I would strike gold almost immediately.  After typing "70's curtain fabric" into Google one day, there it was...like finding three bucks in your winter coat pocket after a long summer in the closet...the fabric I didn't know existed, but knew I had to have.  It was awesome and I just prayed the cut of fabric would be the right size.  Turns out, it was perfect.
After the fabric arrived, Sue (my Godmother) came over, we measured, and two weeks later I got the call:  The curtains were ready.

Pretty sweet, huh?  Now I just have to find the perfect paint pallet and my kitchen will be as Far Out, Boss and Sick as it was in the 70's.

2 comments: