Saturday, January 5, 2013

Do You Hear What I Hear...

A hum, a hum, ringing in ear, let me bring it Q-Tips and Peroxide.  Let me bring it Q-Tips and Peroxide.

So late last week I got what I thought to be water stuck way in my right ear.  It hung around for a few days and by day three I figured it must be wax build up.  I self-diagnosed and poked, paraded and finally did a hydrogen peroxide flush to try to get that waxy bugger out.  No luck.  I couldn't hear and had this irritating hollow sound in my head for days.  Can you say annoying?  I also started "hearing things" too.  While at work, between my heater being on and having only one good ear, I kept thinking I was hearing the Phil Phillips song playing all day long...you know the part where he sings (actually now that I think of it, is he singing or is it some sort of instrument?) all those "dooos"?.... :  "dooooo do do do do do doooo" That's what I was "hearing" with the combination of the heater and the muffled hollow sound in my head.  Low and behold when my feet were cooked to medium rare, I shut my heater off only to hear the complete opposite of Phil Phillips serenading the office on the Blend XM.
Thursday night I was at my breaking point.  I was annoyed that I had to say "what" five thousand times a day and my ear actually hurt to sleep on it.  I slept on my opposite side and ended up not hearing my alarm in the morning because my bad ear was up.  It was time to see a doctor to get this thing out.
I was actually excited to go in.  I had heard stories of people going in to get wax build up flushed out and all this wax comes flooding out like Niagara Falls and I couldn't wait to see that sight.  I know it's gross, but admit it, it's kind of cool.  After the doctor put stool softener (weird, no?) in my ear and streamed water into my canal, out popped this chunk of wax.  It was over in seconds.  To quote my doctor: "Well that's no fun".  A chunk of wax about half the size of my pinky nail came out.  Insert disappointment here.  So much for the river of wax that I secretly hoped would exit my head.  Oh well...at least I know I keep a somewhat clean ear canal.
I also had a small infection so now I am on that Amox (I am not going to spell it out because A., I don't know the spelling and B., I don't care enough to look it up) drug for 10 days. 
Onward and Upward!

No comments:

Post a Comment