Monday, May 16, 2011

Susie Not-So-Homemaker

The Mission:



 I decided to go all out this weekend and try a new recipe (exciting life I lead, huh?)  featuring the start of my garden right now; The Rhubarbs.  I went online searching for a not so difficult recipe, coming across one that consisted of simple ingredients.  "Easy enough", I thought... I'll give it a whirl.

I started with the stars of the show: Mr and Mrs. Rhubarb:

Used my hand-me-WAY- down mixer to mix up the goods.  After a few rounds of losing the beaters in the batter due to lack of support from the mixer, and my obliviousness of the bowl being too small for the ingredients combined with the laziness of not-wanting-to-dirty-another-bowl-and-switch-to-a-bigger-one, I was able to get everything mixed and into it's appropriate 9x13 inch pan.
Did I mention I DON'T have a grater, so I had to use a serrated knife to
get the rinds off of not one, but two oranges and put into the bowl.
Surprisingly, it wasn't as painful as I thought it would be.




After baking for an hour and a half, it was time for the topping--the Meringue.  I have never made this before so I honestly had no clue what it was to look like.  I figured some white stuff that looked a lot like milk was close enough.  Back in the oven it goes for 15 minutes to "brown".  Looks semi-good, right?

Like the saying goes: Don't Judge A Book By It's Cover.
This was one of the worst "desserts" I've ever tasted.  I took one bite and couldn't stomach it.  I think it was the meringue.  It burnt to the sides of the pan and made a tar-like substance--something you would peel of your high-heel after stepping onto the hot pavement in mid-August.
Into the trash it went.

So much for my first rhubarb run...better luck next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment