Thursday, May 19, 2011

Would you like to save twelve cents today?


No, actually, I wouldn’t. Because it’s not really SAVING twelve cents when you have to PAY more to save the twelve cents.
Here I was, on my way to my softball game Wednesday night when I decided to stop at the local Holiday to fill up the MINI and pick up some of my and my teams favorite Giant Sunflower Seeds (Salt & Pepper flavor). Now if any of you are familiar with Holiday and their wonderful selection of Giant seeds, you will know that they have been 2 for $3 for the past I swear, three years. Normally I am a sucker for the deal, but Wednesday, I refrained. I told myself that I only needed one bag…there is no reason to buy two. Don’t get me wrong; I was tempted. I had to hold myself back from buying that second bag…the yellow 2/$3 tag on the little metal post was just screaming at me to pull the second bag off of the bar, but like I said, I held back….or did I??

I mosey on up to the counter to pay for my gas and my seeds. As I tell the cashier my pump number and put the bag of seeds on the counter she smiles (as if she is sickly reading my mind and knows my weakness) and says “These are 2 for $2.88, did you want to get another one?” My mind instantly races to the yellow tag and I say to the cashier -- “they are two for $2.88, not two for $3.00?!?” Cashier: “nope, they are $2.88.” Me: “Ok, hang on.” I literally LEAVE MY WALLET, CREDIT CARD AND CAR KEYS on the counter and go to the back of the store and pick out a second bag. What is my problem??? Leaving my personal belongings on the counter of a gas station because I was flabbergasted by the fact that the sale price had dropped from $3 to $2.88! Wow. It was only after I got to softball and was discussing the situation with my teammates did I realize that it was a measly 12 cents I saved. And really, I didn’t even SAVE the twelve cents, because I had to pay a dollar and some odd cents MORE in order to get the second bag of seeds!
This should be a lesson learned; but we all know that it probably wasn’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment